Brookfield is committed to understanding, minimizing, and managing the potential environmental impacts and public safety hazards associated with our operations and activities.
Our environmental principles are based on the fundamental values of accountability, partnership and open communication. We accept the responsibility entrusted to us to manage natural resources in ways to ensure sustainable development. Our approach protects and enhances the ecosystems and communities affected by our activities while managing a successful business.
- We meet legislated requirements and we strive to achieve a level of performance not only governed by these requirements but also by considerations of the socio-economic and environmental expectations of stakeholders.
- We engage in open and transparent dialogue with stakeholders to achieve a greater understanding of expectations and constraints.
- We promote a partnership approach for the development of responsible and realistic solutions.
- We understand, minimize and manage the impacts and risks associated with our operations and we plan for emergency situations.
- We integrate environmental, public and socio-economic considerations into our business processes.
- We ensure efficiency of our operations and activities in the use of natural resources.
- We exercise leadership by encouraging and training our employees at all levels to ensure the environmental stewardship associated with their responsibilities.
- We ensure that our performance demonstrates our leadership position.
- We put in place environmental management systems that support this policy and ensure continual improvement.
EcoLogoM is North America’s largest, most respected environmental standard and certification mark, gaining recognition increasingly worldwide. EcoLogoM provides customers – public, corporate and consumer – with assurance that the products and services bearing the logo meet stringent standards of environmental leadership. Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners has 22 hydroelectric facilities in British Columbia, Ontario, Québec and Louisiana that meet the strict standards of the EcologoM Program.
Low Impact Hydropower Institute Certification
The Low Impact Hydropower Institute (LIHI) is a non-profit organization dedicated to reducing the impacts of hydropower generation through the certification of hydropower projects that have avoided or reduced their environmental impacts pursuant to the Low Impact Hydropower Institute’s criteria. 23 hydro facilities owned by Brookfield Renewable in New York State have LIHI certification.
Canadian Electricity Association’s Sustainable Electricity Program
Brookfield is a member of the Canadian Electricity Association (CEA) and is an active participant in the Sustainable Electricity program. Launched February 19, 2009, Sustainable Electricity is an industry-wide sustainability initiative developed and implemented by CEA and its utility members. Sustainable Electricity is our response to the challenge of creating a sustainable tomorrow. The program, implemented under the strategic guidance of the CEA Board of Directors, addresses the three components of sustainability – environment, society, and the economy – enables the electricity industry to take a holistic approach to managing its impacts and securing a collective energy future.
CEA and its members place a high value on sustainable development, and as such, participation in this program is a condition of CEA membership. Through Sustainable Electricity, CEA members, including Brookfield, have made a commitment to continually improve their overall sustainable development performance, and report to stakeholders in a timely and transparent manner.
Sustainable Electricity is comprised of the following four elements:
- CEA utilities must commit to the Policy for Sustainable Development – Corporate Responsibility
- CEA utilities must report annually on environmental, social, and economic performance indicators
- The program will be guided by an external Public Advisory Panel
- Each utility must undergo independent external verification as part of its commitment to the program
Through the Sustainable Electricity program, CEA member companies will pursue practices and innovative business strategies to meet the needs of members, Aboriginal peoples, stakeholders, and the communities in which they operate, while ensuring that they enhance the legacy they leave behind for future generations. Brookfield is committed to becoming a leading “Sustainable Electricity” company.